Coffee is consumed more often, by more people around the world than any other beverage. Recent trends in coffee sales made 2019 a very successful year for the coffee industry. With that being said, let’s take a look at some of the latest statistics from the UK coffee industry and see just how successful 2019 really was:
The Latest Coffee Statistics From 2019
- Independent UK coffee shops totaled £6 billion in annual sales in 2019.
- There are more than 6,000 coffee shops throughout the UK.
- The average drive-thru coffee shop in the UK sold 73,000 cups of espresso and coffee based drinks in 2019.
- The average price for an espresso based drink in the UK in 2019 was £5 and the average price for brewed coffee was £
- More than 65% of all coffee in the UK is consumed during breakfast hours, with 30% throughout the day between meals.
- 35% of UK coffee drinkers prefer their coffee black, while 65% prefer to add cream and/or sugar.
- 65% of UK adults drink coffee with their breakfast, 30% drink coffee between meals, and 5% drink it with meals other than breakfast.
- 80% of Britain’s prepare coffee at home.
- About 35% of coffee consumers usually drink black coffee.
- Compostable coffee pods and organic coffee capsules are becoming more popular every year. However, more than 80% of coffee drinkers are still using the official coffee pods from manufacturers and the other 19% are choosing compostable coffee pods or organic coffee capsules.
- People in the UK drink 70 million cups of coffee per day, compared to only 165 million cups of tea.
- More than 930 million lattes were sold in the UK in 2019.
- The UK imported more than £1 Billion worth of coffee in 2019.
- Britain’s consume 75% of all their caffeine in the form of coffee.
- 66% of women in the UK drink coffee every day, compared to 62% of men.
- 79% of Britain’s prepare coffee at home.
- 48% of millennials consume gourmet coffee.
- 29% of UK coffee consumers drink coffee to relax.
- A coffee plant can live up to 100 years.
- Brazil exports 5.7 billion pounds of coffee every year.
Contact Novell Coffee Trade
To learn more about the newest trends in coffee and café service and how some companies and offices are going green with their coffee, contact Novell Coffee Trade and shop a wide selection of specialty coffees today!
If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it on your favourite social media sites.